Foods sold during the school day are required to meet nutrition standards and are referred to as Smart Snacks. Smart Snacks encourage students to make healthier snack choices to help give them the nutrition they need to grow and learn.
What are the Smart Snack Requirements?
- Be a grain product that contains 50 percent or more whole grains by weight/have a whole grain as the first ingredient
- Have as the first ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product, or a protein food
- Be a combination food that contains at least ¼ cup of fruit and/or vegetable
- The food must meet the nutrient standards for calories, sodium, sugar, and fats:
- 200 calories or less
- 200 mg of sodium or less
- 35% or less of sugar
- 35% or less of fat with 10% or less saturated fat and 0 grams trans fat